Re: Automatically checking regtests (was: Re: Minor releases?)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Automatically checking regtests (was: Re: Minor releases?)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:49:28 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Monday, August 17, 2009 10:35 PM

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 05:17:08PM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Am Montag, 17. August 2009 16:08:36 schrieb Michael Käppler:

> > (nobody checks the regression tests for each release, for > > example
> > -- and that's trivially done with a web browser!)
>
> That reminds me of an idea I recently had: Wouldn't it be > possible to > automatically generate a sort of "checksum" for each > regression-test
> output-file and compare it with the former releases?

Isn't this exactly what we already have (make test-baseline to create the reference version and then "make test" to compare the new output to the
reference output...). For the results see
      http://lilypond.org/test/
The 2.13.3 results are at:

http://lilypond.org/test/v2.13.3-0/compare-v2-13/index.html)

Yes.  Right now there happen to be a lot, but I think there's
generally around a dozen examples.

They're almost all due to the different
beaming rules, and these are all changed
for the better, IMHO.

Graham was referring to the fact that nobody seem to bother about looking at those automatically-created regression results before or after a release.

Yes.  All it takes is bookmarking the site, checking it whenever
there's a release, and reporting any broken examples.  However,
nobody is willing to commit to do this.  15 minutes whenever
there's a release, which happens at most once every two weeks.

I'd not looked at this before.  It's very
impressive!  Since I usually download and
install each release I'll commit to looking
at it before I download and shouting if there
is a serious difference.  What in general is
the base release used in the comparison?  Is
it the previous minor release or the previous
stable release?

Trevor

Trevor