Re: some problems with mensural music

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: some problems with mensural music
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:30:55 -0400

    Denis>   2) the ligrature \[g1( f)\] comes out with a slur, but I
    Denis>      would like to avoid the slur; however, if I remove
    Denis>      (...), the synchronization of the lyrics is screwed up
    Denis>      ; how can I put one syllable on \[g1( f)\] without
    Denis>      having the slur appear? In my 16th century example
    Denis>      which I try to mimic, there are no slurs;

Try:

\override Slur #'transparent = ##t

    Denis>   3) I would like a key like mensural-f, but on the third
    Denis>      line, not on the second line from the top; is this
    Denis>      possible?

Yes, but it's clumsier than one would wish.  Here's how I do it:

\version "2.12.0"
\addInstrumentDefinition #"mensuralf3"
  #`( (clefGlyph . "clefs.mensural.f")
     (middleCPosition . 4)
     (clefPosition . 0))
 \instrumentSwitch "mensuralf3"

I've set a lot of sixteenth century music, and have the lilypond
sources up at <http://www.serpentpublications.org>, if you want to
look at them for other tricks.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The good life, as I conceive it, is a happy life. I do not mean that
if you are good you will be happy - I mean that if you are happy you
will be good.

Bertrand Russell