Re:Strange behaviour of dotted notes

From: Ossie Wilson Snr
Subject: Re:Strange behaviour of dotted notes
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:27:15 +1000

On 30th July, Nick Payne had a problem with getting dots to move with their notes. Today, I had a similar problem which is shown in the minimal example .ly file attached..

The first example shows the situation I wanted to modify.

The second example uses \once \override NoteColumn ‘force-hshift which ends up with the notes moved but their dots stationary. I did try the same procedure with DotColumn without any success.

In the third example I inverted the two voices and used the same command as above and the dots moved with the notes.

Could anyone please explain what is causing this very strange behavior with dotted notes.

In the piece I am converting from a very rough manuscript to ‘quality LP’ output, there are a number of similar occurrences. I have noticed that the upper voice seems to get preference in the leftmost note column over the lower voice. Can this priority be changed?

Ossie