Re: Aphex Twin deathWaltz

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: Aphex Twin deathWaltz
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 11:53:24 -0700

I don't know what Aphex Twin is, or what it has to do with the image, but
I'd guess it's the name of a rock band. Am I right?

I think one of the flutists in the community orchestra I play in had that
on her stand at a rehearsal once so I thought it might be some kind of
inside flute joke...but on closer inspection...who knows what it is!
It reminds me of stuff in Herr Professor Schmutzig's "Complete Method fur
der Waldhorn or der Ventilhorn" booklet that I got a photocopy of from my
high school horn teacher. Funny stuff. Lots of inside jokes for horn
players, like the Siegfried Long Call played upside down, a new embouchure
position called "einschmutzen" etc.

see http://www.rjmartz.com/horns/Schmutzig/

unfortunately a quick search didn't turn up the musical examples inside
this little gem...

Tim Reeves