suggestion for emproving NR: fingering istructions

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: suggestion for emproving NR: fingering istructions
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:46:26 +0200

Hi,

from my privileged position of newbie ;-)
I have a suggestion for a very tiny edit in the Notation Reference which might ease the understanding for new users.

This is the page (section Selected Snippets):
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Inside-the-staff#Fingering-instructions

What is missing there, IMHO, is a clear statement like "left-hand fingerings must be entered within a chord construct <> (i.e.: even single notes must be enclosed by < >)".

There is a similar sentence in the right-hand fingering chapter:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common-notation-for-fretted-strings#Right_002dhand-fingerings

So why don't you add in the left-hand as well?

I've lost hours trying to figure out why left orientation worked just for chords and not for single notes.
That sentence would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Best regards,

Federico