Big Measures in Large Ensemble

From: craigbakalian
Subject: Big Measures in Large Ensemble
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:58:40 -0400

Hi,

        I am writing a large ensemble work, a saxophone concerto.  The first
movement is in 8/4.  It has got to be an 8/4 because I am constantly
shifting the 3+3+2 to 3+2+3 and 2+3+3 quality of beat emphasis and
phrasing.  The sax has 16th notes, often enough.  This question may be a
bit premature, but I am worried about the smashing and stretching of
measures that could occur.  Does anyone have experience with this?  And
is there a possibility of cutting a measure off and finishing it on
another page?

Craig Bakalian
560 Keswick Drive
Yardley, PA 19067