Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:20:41 -0600

Dear LilyPond users,

Marc Hohl has done a good job of improving tablature notation.  We're just
ready to add it to LilyPond 2.13.4.

In the process of adding it, a question come up about the name for some
notation.

In rock (and maybe jazz) guitar, there is a note described as a "dead note"
that is notated in both tablature and staff notation with a cross-style
notehead.  This note is played on a muted string, so it gets rhythm but no
real pitch.

The code has been developed with the name \deadNotesOn, \deadNotesOff, and
\deadNote.

The same notation appears to be used in woodwinds for what is sometimes
called a "ghost note".

I'd prefer to get the most useful name for the notation, but I'd also like
to avoid instrument-specific names if possible.

Once we get the name in LilyPond, it's changeable, but it seems to cause
stress to people when the syntax changes.  So I'd like to take some time to
get it right before committing the code.

So, please answer the following questions:

1) What instances (other than a drum staff) are you aware of where a note
uses a cross symbol rather than a standard note head?

2) For each of the instances you identified in part 1), what do you call the
resulting note?

Thanks,

Carl