Re: Avoid indenting the first bar

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: Avoid indenting the first bar
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:20:29 +1000

>> - what does the symbol in quotation marks mean mean (visualise it
>> rotated clockwise by about 30 degrees) ":||:"?

Tom> It could be a kind of simile mark, which would make sense because
Tom> it marks a repetition of the words and a near repetition of the
Tom> music.  However, the only simile marks I can find live inside the
Tom> stave, not above it as this one does.

It *is* a simile mark  It normally goes where the associated part goes
-- so in hymns, which are often set as short-staff (two voices per
stave), it'll go above the upper staff for the soprano part, below the
lower staff for the bass part, etc.

This is because it's fairly common for one part to repeat some words,
while the other parts do not.

--
Dr Peter Chubb                                  peter DOT chubb AT nicta.com.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au               ERTOS within National ICT Australia