Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: kztone
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:00:33 -0500

Hi,
I've seen a number of people talking about the "right" way to name chords used in jazz. The problem is that there is no one right way currently.
I agree.
However my jazz musican still had quibbles because he thought that the interval alterations should be in a column right beside the chord name. Also that any bass notes should be written as a staight line under the chord name.
If you write it in this way, I might interpret it as a poly chord.
So, my opinion on how these chords should be written has changed as I've had to use them at my instrument. My jazzz musician with the piano jazz trio had never seen the triangle symbol used at all. He said he wouldn't have a clue what to play if he saw that.
I think most of experience musicians could guess what the triangle means from chord progression or theme
even if they didn't know.

Personally I don't like the triangle symbol but looks to me many people who write sheets by hand tend to use the triangle symbol. Of course, supporting all major chord notation systems would be nice but I guess that's too hard. ( I have never used the commercial notation software. What do they support? )

Following the most popular fake book sounds reasonable to me.
"The Real Book by Hal Leonard" is popular around me, btw.

- kzt