Re: new website draft 5: help wanted, I mean it

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: new website draft 5: help wanted, I mean it
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:15:14 -0500

Tim McNamara wrote:
Criminy on a crutch, wow.

I'm sorry to say it but there are an awful lot of hurdles to get over in learning to use LilyPond and then even more in trying to contribute to it. I think I see why there are fewer contributor than Graham and Patrick etc. would like: being a contributor comes with a learning curve that many of us just do not have time to master. I think there'd be more contributors if contributing was a simple process (and not so Linux-centric): installing git and all its myriad dependencies, learning texinfo, etc. I simply don't have time for all that. I'm happy to write text, revise text, proof-read etc. for the Web site and the docs, but I'd submit anything in text or HTML.

I'm happy to format stuff as texinfo for you if you want to write text for the website, for example the inspirational essay "why to use Lilypond" that (I think) we're still looking for, or if you want to revise text in the docs, call our attention to typos and so forth. If someone comes along as says exactly where there's a problem in the docs and provides (even in an email) an exact line with which to replace it, then to me that's a significant contribution and I'm happy to integrate it to the docs.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com