Re: minor chord names

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: minor chord names
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:06:34 -0600

On 7/10/09 11:17 AM, "fiëé visuëlle" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello pond comrades,
>
> some time ago I asked about displaying minor chord names as lowercase
> letters without the "m" modifier, as it is common (at least) in German
> folk songbooks.
> I.e.
>
> \context ChordNames {
>         \germanChords % or whatever
>         \chordmode { a:m }
> }
>
> should print as "a" instead of "Am".
>

> Is this possible nowadays, and how?

As far as I know, it is not yet possible.  It is on a feature request list
for Thomas's rewrite of the chord naming functions.

> There's nothing appropriate in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Displaying-chords
>
> Since I don't need fancy jazz chords, perhaps there's a possibility
> using chordNameExceptions?

Unfortunately, there is no "built-in" way of doing it that I know about.
As written, chordNameExceptions modifies everything that comes after the
root name, but not the root name itself.

Carl