basic questions

From: Peter Buhr
Subject: basic questions
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:19:28 -0400

Below is a open guitar-scale without tempo. I have 2 problems. And I have tried
to do due-diligence before posting to see if the information is available in
either the LSR or LilyPond Notation Reference, but I found nothing using my
search parameters.

1. The low E in the scale is too close to the treble clef. The C ledger-line
   touches the clef. I tried to move the scale to the right by inserting "s1"
   at the start; however, no change occurred in the output. I don't understand
   why there is no change. If I put a hidden note in place of the "s1", it does
   what I want. So what is the best way to push the notes to the right to fix
   this problem?

2. I tried to change the font-name and font-size for the lyrics (guitar
   form-numbers).

      \override Lyrics #'font-name = #"times"
      \override Lyrics #'font-size = #-2

   However, I don't know the grob name. What is the correct name? Or maybe I'm
   not doing this right at all!

May I make a small suggestion (and it may already be done). Someplace in the
LilyPond manual, there needs to be a list of all the grob names and what they
do. I find I spend a lot of time linearly searching the manual hoping I'll come
across the right grob-name for something I want to change. In several cases, an
educated guess generates the right name. I tried that for Lyrics, but no
banana.

Cheers, and thanks

\include "english.ly"
#(set-default-paper-size "letter")