Re: new website: draft 3

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: new website: draft 3
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 11:00:34 +0200

On 03.07.2009, at 08:44, Graham Percival wrote:
Anyway, I'm fine with a "FAQ: something isn't working!  Answer:
read @ref{When things don't work}".  I'm even ok with a "FAQ:
where's the application?  Answer: read the @ref{Text input}",
although I **really** don't think that will be necessary with out
new webpage.  I've done everything[1] possible to beat this into
people's heads...

[1] no, wait!  If somebody gets lilypond as part of their linux
package system, and clicks on "manuals", they'll miss all the
warnings!  Mao, foiled again!   ... maybe I should add a @ref{Text
input} to the docs-intro section, after all.

Also, have you heard of sites like macupdate? Actually, have you ever typed into a web browser "lilypond download"? There are tons of ways people can and will get lilypond without documentation and be completely baffled as to its usage. And then stumble upon a "Problems with LilyPond should be reported here: address@hidden" Sadly, you cannot idiot proof anything. All you can do is make it incredibly easy to find the answers.

Anyway*2, what other questions would you propose?  My idea is
that the FAQ should contain 4-10 questions.  Currently, we have
1: Why do you change the syntax?
2: Something isn't working!
3: Where is the app (_maybe_)

Well, if they are the most frequently asked questions… I mean, a quick look at bug-lilypond shows that two of those two FAQ questions are the most commonly asked.

James E. Bailey