Re: new website: initial comments

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: new website: initial comments
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:13:45 -0500

On Jun 23, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Graham Percival wrote:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:52:08AM -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

On Jun 23, 2009, at 7:11 AM, David Stocker wrote:

  2. On the documentation page, maybe it would be better to choose a
     wording other than "Normal Users" for the second section of
documentation links. This might imply that "Beginning Users" are somehow /abnormal/. Maybe "Regular Users" or "Experienced Users"
     would be a better choice.

How about "New Users," "Intermediate Users" and "Expert Users?"

I've split this into Intro, Frequent use, Infrequent use; a new
version will probably be online in 4-8 hours, so let me know what
you think of that version.

I'll take a peek when it's up.

I hate cluttered web pages (and hence I don't like most web pages- few Web site designers seem to have much knowledge about visual perception
and lots of knowledge about JavaScript, and so they play to their
strength) so I like the nice clean look proposed here.

This "clean look" is (deliberately) enforced by our choice of
languages: I write the content in texinfo (the language our
manuals are created in), and Patrick write a CSS file to change
the presentation of that content.

Sounds like a good choice.

Color coding also makes it easier for the eye to follow- beginning user information in Color 1, intermediate user information in Color 2, expert user information in Color 3. This could simply be done by changing the colors behind the navigation bar at the top of the page to reflect the
skill level for that page.

... however, due to our choice of technical setup, altering the
navigation bar would be extremely tricky.  Sorry.  I agree this
could be a nice feature, but I can't see it being worth the
trouble to make it work.  The system is designed for a clean,
uniform presentation -- especially in the navigation.  Making
special cases like this would be a huge pain.

Understood.

On the "Learning Manual" page on my computer, the second navigation bar (starting with "(main)") wraps to a second line and covers part of the first line of the text. The wrapped part contains "Other Documentation"
and "Other Versions."

We'll certainly be working on issues like this, but not for the
next few days -- we want to get the overall structure in place
first.

Yes.

Text should scale appropriately if the user chooses to override font
size, like I do with my middle aged eyes on a 12" laptop screen.

This shouldn't be a problem; doesn't it work?

Oh, sorry to be confusing. That was a general comment about Web sites and not specifically about the new one. Your comment in another post about web sites trying to force a specific resolution already indicates you're ahead of my thinking on this.

If we see layout problems with specific computers, browsers, etc., maybe
it would be helpful to send screenshots to a single point person to
provide demonstration of the problem.  Who will this person be?

Probably Patrick, if nobody else wants to help with the design.
Wait a few days; let's see if we get more volunteers.  :)

OK.