scoop before note

From: Lewis Overton
Subject: scoop before note
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 16:09:53 -0800

I'm curious about what others are doing to print a "scoop" --  a curved gliss into a note with no particular starting note. It's common in jazz and occasionally in more modern band and orchestra music, especially show music. It looks like a "doit" but comes before and leads into a note. I've seen several attempts at this, but nothing I've tried seems to work. I'm a trombone player, so I see these things often. Falls and doits are under control, but scoops still elude me.

Lewy