Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Thomas
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 23:38:08 +0200

hi,
just one idea to think about:
if you read Werner Pöhlert's "Basic Harmoy" (a very thick volume) he
explains that every move from chord to chord is a fifth (= = half-step), so
if you want to produce consistent jazzchord names from given notes, the most
logical think would be to analyse the notes in the following way:

(1) recognize the root movement (half-tone, whole-tone[= = fifth or 2 x
fifth],  fourth/fifth) from the preceeding chord and thereby the root of the
new chord
(2) determine the quality of the new chord. there exist only 5 types of
triads ... major, major +5, major -5, minor, minor - 5 ... all other
existing chords are just composed as a mix of that triads. so if you have
the root, identify the basic triad, and than the other triads that are mixed
in to make it a fancy jazz chord ....and then apply defined naming rules,
ie. a mix of Gminor-triad  with Bbmajor-triad is called Gm7, or more
generally, a minor triad with a major triad based on it's third mixed in is
called a m7 chord with the name of the root of the minor triad.

I think only going back to this most basic building blocks of chord movement
and chord composition there ist a chance to automatically recognize chord
names and not get lost in the endless possibilities of chord interpretation
and spelling....
cheers
thomas