Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 14:55:18 +1000

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
I assume that there would still have to be some means of creating
exceptions. If someone wants chords named mainly in the Real Book style,
but with minors notated slightly differently ( Cm / Cmi / C- ) for
example, would they find themselves having to put together a large list
of exceptions to get their preferred style? Or would there be some other
way of 'tweaking' just that aspect of how chord names are displayed?

I haven't done it yet, so I don't know.

But I imagine we can have a property minorSymbol which could have values
like \markup {"m"}, \markup {"mi"}, \markup {"-"}, or 'lowerCaseRootName

Then a user could specify the markup to be used to indicate a minor, etc.

Sounds good.

Right now we have a naming problem, separate from the display problem.  If
we can get the code to recognize that we have a Ebmaj7b5, then we can figure
out how to display it in a way that the users will like.  Right now, we
haven't had much luck with anything but exceptions in terms of getting chord
names.

Given that I have only ever used \chordmode with ChordNames, I hadn't noticed the problem, but having done a little test, I can see what you mean. The chord <d f aes c> produces a chord name of Cb6/sus4/sus2!? Bizarre!

Which scheme file processes the chord to produce the name?