Line lengths in NR [was Petrucci-like spacing?]

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Line lengths in NR [was Petrucci-like spacing?]
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 22:49:04 +0100

Mats Bengtsson wrote Monday, May 25, 2009 8:03 PM

Henning Plumeyer wrote:

\relative c'' {
\key f \major g1*1/4 bes1*1/4 a1*1/4 g1*1/4 d'1.*1/6 c4 bes4 c1*1/4
}

Hi, Carl,
could you explain why this works? I would have expected that g1*1/4 is
exactly the same as g4, but it is obviously not.

It looks like a whole note but has the duration of a quarter note, when LilyPond determines the spacing. If you don't want to add "*1/4" for every single note, there is a command \scaleDurations to apply this kind of scaling for a whole section of music. All this is well described in Subsection "Scaling durations" in "1.2.1 Writing Rhythms" in the Notation Reference.

The lines in the html version of this section of the
Notation Reference are significantly longer than any
other, so long I have to scroll horizontally to read them.

Does anyone else see this, or is it some subtle problem
with IE?

Trevor