Re: \partial at start, but want whole bar at end

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: \partial at start, but want whole bar at end
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:04:50 +0200

2009/5/22 Paul Hodges <address@hidden>:
> Hi all,
>
> I have looked around, but I can't find anything about this in the pdf
> documentation or snippets (v2.12.2):
>
> At the start of my piece, I have \partial for an upbeat.  However, I
> wish to have a full bar (a semibreve in 2/2) at the end of the piece -
> following my source.  However, Lilypond is insisting on having a final
> bar of three beats to match the upbeat at the start - which is blank,
> because I have no more notes.

Impossible.

I mean, there is no connection between the end and the start that
supposedly makes lilypond to match both measures. Unless...

Unless you are wrapping the note durations from the start. The problem
is usually a misunderstanding of the argument to the \partial
function. For example, If your upbeat is a fourth note in 2/2, do not
use

  \partial 2.

but

  \partial 4