Re: missing glissando features (bugs?)

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: missing glissando features (bugs?)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:49:45 +0200

2009/5/20 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:48:58AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> I've always thought that pushing against the fingerboard created a fixed end
>> to the string, while just touching the string created a node.  Perhaps the
>> "pulling the string towards the arm" technique creates enough force that it
>> functions as the "end" of the string, in contrast to the relatively light
>> harmonic touch?
>
> Yeah; if you pull it gently (and if you're in the right position)
> you get a harmonic, but if you pull it more, it drops down to the
> "regular" pitch.
>
> As for the actual physics, I'm not certain whether the
> non-harmonic is caused by the extra tension, or the width of the
> finger[1], or what.
>
> [1]  if you touch the string lightly, you only have a small area.
> But if you pull the string a lot, your finger occupies an arc with
> a wider angle (albeit still on the order of 2-3 degrees).  This
> wider arc will deaden a lot more vibrations than a small-area
> touch.

I think that if you touch slightly trying to get an harmonic, the
string vibrates on full length, at both sides of your finger; if you
press more, vibrations end on the finger. Not a node here of a longer
string, but simply an effective end of the string.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org