Re: Newby question about stem directions

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Newby question about stem directions
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:50:07 -0400

Hi Tim,

Does the \\ keep adding voices (effectively) indefinitely
[...] I'm worried about running out of voices!

I don't know the official answer. (Maybe Mats or HW or Graham can speak to this?) The attached test shows that there are at least 5 -- I'm assuming there are an indefinite number (or at least enough that you won't likely ever hit the limit).

the workaround I have found to align lyrics to a dotted slur
uses two voices for one musical line.

Why do you need two voices just to align lyrics to a dotted slur?
If you post your current workaround, I'm sure someone on the list will be able to show you how to do it with only one voice.

Regards,
Kieren.

\version "2.12.2"
\include "english.ly"

test = \relative
{
\context Voice = "5" { \override NoteHead #'color = #blue \override Accidental #'color = #blue } << { a b c } \\ { c d e } \\ { e f g } \\ { a b c } \\ { fs, gs bf } >>
}

\score { \test }