Re: (2 - 3)/4 time signature

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: (2 - 3)/4 time signature
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:16:19 -0500

Alberto Simões wrote:
Hello.

I am transcribing a music that defines the time signature as

(2-3)/4

That is, some bars are 2/4, some others are 3/4.

While I can change time signature from time to time accordingly with the
composer changes, that polutes a lot the music score.

Any suggestion on a solution?

Thank you
Alberto

Alberto,

I had some success fiddling with this snippet:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=554

But all I could do was get the time signature to print rather badly. The size is a bit off and the alignment is terrible. I don't know whether this would help you or not but I'll copy the code. Of course this doesn't do anything to help manage the individual measures in different meters. Does your original score have meter changes or does it just change the number of beats per bar without explicitly changing the meter? Anyway here's a go at the time signature. You can take it from here if you like. :)

Jon

tsMarkup = \markup {
  \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5)
          \column { \center-align \number "(2-3)" \number "4"  }
}

\relative c' {
  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'default
  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = #(lambda (grob)
                    (grob-interpret-markup grob tsMarkup))
  \time 3/4
  c d e f

Jonathan Kulp