Real-world usage of Lilypond

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Real-world usage of Lilypond
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:56:16 +0200

...although we all are in 'the real world' (or at least think we are :-) )

Recently, I was attending a speech by one of the leading people being
busy with compiling a new book of church songs for The Netherlands (or
at least the Calvinist/Lutheran part of it). When the speech was
finished I asked him if it was appropriate to point him to software
that does music engraving. He said that it was and took out paper and
a pen. When I dropped the name Lilypond he put away paper and pen. And
told me that they were already looking into using Lilypond...

So, here's a serious example of the usage of Lilypond in the real world.

I was wondering if perhaps 'we' were able to help him, by:
- Engraving songs for publishing, making them 'as good as possible';
- Extending Lilypond to (more easily?) accomodate engraving of church
music. Two examples that I can think of are: Setting rests at the end
of a system, and making music centered and not left aligned;
- Any other advice/techniques/additions/modifications we can think of.

Are there any people out there that would be willing to help make this
possible? Perhaps some Lilypond funding could be possible (it is,
after all, a commercial undertaking), and at least it can be shown
that Lilypond is ready for world usage.

Christ van Willegen