Re: invisible slurs in tablature

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: invisible slurs in tablature
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:14:33 +0200

Carl D. Sorensen schrieb:

On 4/1/09 1:09 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

Carl D. Sorensen schrieb:
Would it be easier to define two separate staff commands? In my files, I
define

noten = \relative c { c d e f }

and feed this into a Staff AND a TabStaff. So, why not create a compound
Staff (called \MusicTabStaff, for example),
which does exactly the same as

<< \Staff { \noten } \TabStaff  { \numbersOnly \noten } >>

and uses only the numbers, whereas \TabStaff (as defined in lilypond) is
used in the cases where
no regular staves are needed and thus shows up everything (stems, slurs
etc.)?

There are at least two ways to go with this.

The first is to have a StaffGroup that includes a Staff and a TabStaff.  It
would be something like a PianoStaff.  I don't know the details of how that
would word, but I suspect it could be done.

The second would be to write a simple music function with one argument (call
it myMusic) that expands to

<< \new Staff { myMusic} \new TabStaff {\numbersOnly \myMusic
\undoNumbersOnly} >>

This music function would be a simple substitution function>.  You can use
those in Notation Reference 6.1.2 as examples.

Carl, thank you for your suggestions. I will play a bit and see what way is
better/easier/etc.
When the decision is made, and it's ready for submission to LilyPond, the
defaults will be established in ly/engraver-init.ly

The commands for changing from one to the other will be established in
ly/property-init.ly.

Marc, once you've got consensus, you can make the changes and roll me a
patch, and I'll apply it.

Ok, but I think we are just at the beginning of the topic. The more I
think about tablature features/defaults,
the more complicated it gets ;-)

Oh, absolutely.  But it's not necessary to add everything all at once.
While we're in a development cycle (2.13), we can add features a little bit
at a time, and hopefully be close to done by the time we release 2.14.
Just curious: is there a time frame for the release of future versions,
as it is with the ubuntu linux releases every six months?

Marc
Carl