Re: Review of Valentin's Opera

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Review of Valentin's Opera
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:41:00 +0200

2009/4/1 Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:
> At the same time, you all know what's the relation between the article
> and LilyPond: although not mentioned in the text, the first opera by
> Valentin Villenave is licensed as free software, and it has been fully
> typeset using Lily. It has been a remarkable absolute première and the
> article gives a very good value to the work and the performance.

Thanks a lot for sharing this; I had met with this "journalist" a few
months ago, and as I told him about alternate licencing choices, about
publishing the score on my own using a Free-software tool, I noticed
that he was less than convinced.

I met him again after a performance of my opera, and he confessed he
hadn't been expecting to see something as "professional" (his word) as
what he'd just seen.

> I take this opportunity to say Kudos! to all the great lilyponders who
> are using, developing and promoting this great piece of software.

As I said, LilyPond's job was remarkably appreciated by the musicians
and by the orchestra's librarist. Besides, writing and editing the
score was made way easier and more pleasant than anything I could have
expected.

No matter the value of this project itself (or possibly lack thereof,
time will tell), what makes me proud is that I've been able to pursue
the path opened by people like Nicolas Sceaux, Kieren, Trevor B., Jose
Padovani and several others, and to demonstrate that LilyPond is
definitely ready for prime-time: composers, publishers everywhere CAN
use, SHOULD use, WILL use LilyPond.

And not only LilyPond, but the Freedom that come with it: alternate
licences, ability to read, copy and modify the source code, etc.
Hopefully we will have, in the future, more and more works published
this way; we musicians and citizens of the world certainly do need
such a repertoire.

So say we all :-)

Cheers,
Valentin