Re: Bug? Lines disappear with rhythmic staff

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: Bug? Lines disappear with rhythmic staff
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:44:29 +1100

M> Peter Chubb wrote:
>> I'm using the current 2.12.2 version of lilypond.  The attached
>> file yields, programming error: vertical alignment called before
>> line-breaking and no lines on the staff.
>>
>> If I remove the \bar "|." the output is correct.

M> For me, with 2.12.2 on Fedora 10, running your example yields tiny
M> staff lines before the clef, but nothing after, and no StaffGroup
M> bracket.

That's right.  I want no lines on the stave for the RhythmicStaff, but
I do want lines for the Staff context, and no StaffGroup bracket.

M> You seem to have removed the Staff_symbol_engraver from the
M> RythmicStaff context -- I left the \bar "|." in, and commented out
M> the line

M> % \remove "Staff_symbol_engraver"

M> , then all worked fine.

Why does removing Staff_symbol_engraver from RhythmicStaff affect what
happens to Staff???

And in any case it doesn't `work fine' -- you get a line on the
RhythmicStaff.  I want just the crossed notes.

To see an image of what *should* happen, see

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/ArbeauT/Orch/belle/belle-preview.png

I'm trying to update this piece to current LilyPond.  convert-ly on
its own is insufficient:
 -- can't use TeX escapes for accents and en and em dashes
 -- it mucks up the addlyrics, so I had to change to a \lyricsto with
a specific named Voice
 -- and the problem I'm having with removing the staff lines for the
RhythmicStaff context.  As I said, what I want to see is what you get
if you remove \bar "|." in the minimal example --- as you can see in
the mutopia PNG.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia