Re: odd configure error

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: odd configure error
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:31:21 -0700

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:08:40PM +0100, James E. Bailey wrote:
>>
>> GIT from git.sv.gnu.org
>>     git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
>
> This does not set up easy pulling or pushing in the future, and
> generally assumes that people know how to use git.  It also
> downloads all branches, which in most cases is not necessary.

It depends on what branches people work with.  If they only work on
the master branch, then the `git clone' method is a lot easier, IMO.

The `git clone' method *does* set up easy pulling and pushing, but
only for the master branch (I think).

The confusion comes in when trying to juggle multiple remote branches
on multiple local branches.  This is when knowledge of git is
necessary, because there are different ways of doing things.

For example, this is the method I would recommend to fetch the
LilyPond repo and make a patch for the documentation:

git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
cd lilypond
git checkout -b mybranch
...make changes...
git commit -a
git format-patch master

Let's say remote master has changed in the meantime, and you want to
create a new patch rebased on current master:

cd lilypond
git checkout master
git pull
git checkout mybranch
git rebase master
git format-patch master

If you want to create a new patch, just do this:

cd lilypond
git checkout master
git pull
git checkout mybranch
...make changes...
git commit -a
git rebase master
git format-patch master

If you have push access, just add a couple more steps:

cd lilypond
git checkout master
git pull
git checkout mybranch
...make changes...
git commit -a
git rebase master
git checkout master
git merge mybranch
git push git+ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git

***

Ideally, users would know what all of these commands mean, but as you
say, if we put these sequences in the Contributer's Guide, then they
can simply copy and paste.

These command sequences generally work, unless there are rebase
conflicts, which requires another two paragraphs itself to explain.
They also eliminate the extra `merge' commits you see occasionally.

-Patrick