Re: Questions before starting big piece. Pushing myself...

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Questions before starting big piece. Pushing myself...
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 00:12:12 +0100

El 28.02.2009, a las 23:25, aliteralmind escribió:

For the first time, I'm stretching myself beyond just melodies.

I have some old six-plus part acapella arrangements that I handwrote, and
want to put into LilyPond.

I'm scared. Let's just say that off the bat.  :'  )
Why be scared, it's just music. It's not going to bite...hopefully

I'm going to start fooling around now, but I have some questions so I design
this well from the beginning.
You'll probably figure out halfway through a way that works way better for you than what you've been using.

-- First, the big question: How should I deal with parts that I want to
sometimes have on their own staves, and sometimes be consolidated with
others on the same staff? Sometimes two parts are consolidated, sometimes
four or more. Sometimes one part splits temporarily into two.

I would suggest separating the parts into voices, and putting each voice into its own variable. If a part splits temporarily, but it's just a part that splits, I would leave those in the same variable (assuming that the part remains on one staff, if one part splits onto two staves, I would separate them). Then have a completely separate variable where you throw all of the staff changes. (I haven't tested that that works, but in theory...)

-- What is the best way you recommend putting textual notes before the music
starts? I mean recommendations and requests for each part.
\markup