Lyrics spacing problem - overlapping syllables

From: Jiri Zurek (Prague)
Subject: Lyrics spacing problem - overlapping syllables
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:39:56 -0800 (PST)

Please, look at the last note of the piece: the last syllable of the
following piece ("-mme") is overlapping with the melisma preceding it. How
to instruct Lilypond to make some more room for the syllable to shift it
away from the foregoing ending melisma? I tried the "Spacing lyrics" from
the Documentation but it is not helpful since the LyricSpace
#'minimum-distance affects only the space between words and not between the
syllables of the same word. For this reason, I removed the minimum-distance
line from the layout. Also, I do not think it is Lyric spacing (or Lyrics
padding) problem, rather, it is the problem of music spacing: the Lilypond
should be aware of the fact that there is longer syllable under the given
notehead. The notehead should be "padded" from both sides to make the whole
syllable to fit so that the syllable does not extend under the adjacent
noteheads.

\version "2.12.1"

\paper {
    #(set-paper-size "b5")
    line-width = 14.6\cm
    indent = 0.0
    ragged-right = ##t
    ragged-last = ##t

  }

notyOKriste = \relative c' {\time 12/8 a'4 c8 a4 g8 f4 e8 f4. c'4 d8 f4 e8
d4 bes8 c4 c8 d4 c8 a4 d,8 f16[ \melisma e d8 c] \melismaEnd d4. \bar "||" }

oKriste = \lyricmode { Ó Kri -- ste do -- bro -- ti -- vý, na nás vel -- mi
na -- las --
          ka -- vý, čímť se o -- pla -- tí -- mme? }

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "cantus" {
      \notyOKriste
    }
    \new Lyrics
      \lyricsto "cantus" {
      \oKriste
      }

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Bar_number_engraver"

  }
  \context {
    \Lyrics
    \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"
    %\override LyricSpace #'minimum-distance = #3.0
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21665565/JistK_10_SpirituSelfContained.pdf
JistK_10_SpirituSelfContained.pdf