Lyrics - align first wowel of a syllable under the notehead

From: Jiri Zurek (Prague)
Subject: Lyrics - align first wowel of a syllable under the notehead
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 03:33:13 -0800 (PST)

I read in another thread (see
http://www.nabble.com/Lyric-notehead-alignment-problem-td8826736.html#a8826736),
that it should be considered as 'normal' alignment of the lyrics under the
noteheads, that the first wowel of a syllable is put under the notehead.
Indeed, in old chant books, this is the case. I would be happy to achieve
this behavior in Lilypond but it does not seem to be the case. Please help,
if you can. If I use the (default) centered lyrics alignment, then the
syllable is centered under the notehead regardless of any wowel contained.
If I use the left alignment, then the first letter of a syllable appears
under the notehead again regardless of any wowel in the syllable. Is there a
way how to achive a proper 'first-wowel-in-the-syllable alignment under the
notehead in Lilypond? Moreover, the syllable causes the first note of the
melisma to be padded until the syllable ends while it would be preferrable
that the notes of a melisma are kept together regardless of the syllable
span under them. I have the impression that the gregorian.ly included causes
the problem but I cannot do without it since it contains the definitions of
divisiones - the special barlines.

%begin lilypond snippet (please use UTF-8)
\version "2.12.1"

\include "gregorian.ly"

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "cantus" {
      \stemDown \slurUp
      \clef "G_8"
      % Verse 1 — Salve, Regína
      a4 \melisma  a(  g a2 )  \melismaEnd d4
      \divisioMinima
       a(  g2)
       f4 ( \melisma  e f ) g(  f2) \melismaEnd
       e4(  d2)
      \divisioMaior
      c4  d d(  c) d
       e(  f) g
      d ( \melisma e)  c \melismaEnd d
      \finalis

    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "cantus" {
      \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
      Sall- vve, RRRe- gggí- nnna, ma- ter mi- se- ri- cór- di- ae:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists Custos_engraver
    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
    \remove "Bar_engraver"
    \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
  }
  \context { \Score
    \override PaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t
    \override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t
    barAlways = ##t

%end lilypond snippet