Re: splitting chords entered as <<c e g>>^"with stuff" \etc

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: splitting chords entered as <<c e g>>^"with stuff" \etc
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:59:14 -0500

On Monday 19 January 2009, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> This statement is not true when trying to split relative chords and
> produce parallel relative voices, because of the way lilypond works.
>
> The octave on the first note of a chord in relative mode is determined
> by comparison with the first note of the previous chord.

Back in the day that was not true. I forgot. I don't know whether it
was before or after the change from <<>> to <>. It is no problem to run
the very simple procedure on each first note of each chord and then
on the rest of each chord before splitting, getting all of the absolute
pitches. Two lines of sed, max, would get the punctuation.
Then split as done already. The point is that all of the information is
there, and it is not necessary to crunch the pitches in any way.  It is
not necessary to have any expressions of octave other than ,' and their
absence. Absolute to relative might be more difficult
than the opposite, but I doubt it. I haven't given that any thought.

Looks as simple as subtracting from the next note instead of adding.

Regards, daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
http://www.openguitar.com/dynamic.html :::: You can play the cards