Re: ANN: MIDI input plugin for jEdit

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: ANN: MIDI input plugin for jEdit
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 04:45:07 -0500

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Andrew Hawryluk wrote:
> Absolute pitches is an easy feature to add (most of the code is
> already there). I will get to it in the next few weeks.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew
>
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Stefan Thomas
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Dear Andrew,
> > I think it's not so difficult to write this macro for jedit.
> > I think I can do it. But I have another question:
> > I would find it helpful to have also the possibilitie for absolute
> > pitches. I think, this should bve even easier.
> >
> > 2008/12/31 Andrew Hawryluk <address@hidden>:
> >> I suppose that one could write a function that searches for the
pitch
> >> preceding the caret in the text area and modifies it
enharmonically.
> >> By assigning a keyboard shortcut you would then have the ability to
> >> enter ees from the MIDI keyboard and change it to dis by pressing
> >> CTRL-something. This is probably beyond my current skills, and it
may
> >> be just as fast to type the pitches that have unusual spellings in
> >> given key.
> >>
> >> This does bring up the point that MIDI input can be a tremendous
> >> timesaver for strongly diatonic music, but may not be as helpful
for
> >> highly chromatic passages.

If the spelling is related to the key according to the "chromatic scale"
in that key, there will be lots of time saved in nearly all instances.
The chromatic scale in C is c cs d eb e f fs g gs a bb b c. It can
easily be transposed for other keys. The idea of an "official"
chromatic scale in each key has been resurrected. See wikipedia.
Regards, daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
http://www.openguitar.com/dynamic.html :::: You can play the cards