Re: Diatonic/modal transposition function (John Mandereau)

From: Tao Cumplido
Subject: Re: Diatonic/modal transposition function (John Mandereau)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:33:26 +0100

As far as I understand it it works independent from a key signature so it
doesn't matter if the key is in C or not.
The function says taht you transpose a pattern in a given key for X steps, so
in your example you transpose a pattern in a-minor one step up, and from C one
step is D.

Now to you John.
Thanks for this awesome function(s). :)
I'll be sure using them a lot.

But I have some questions also.

Would it be possible to make \diatonicTranspose recognize the key automatically?
It would save a lot of typing.
e.g.:

motive = { c'8 d'8 }

\new Staff
{
   \key c \major
   \motive
   \diatonicTranspose #1 \motive
   \diatonicTranspose #2 \motive
}

Maybe the same for modeTranspose, that I only have to specify the mode I
transpose into.
This would be especially useful for minor keys because a motive is often
transposed into minor melodic/harmonic.

I guess the best solution would be to have both options available, e.g. just to
specify the key if necessary and automatic recognition of the current key if no
key is specified.

Another thing I was thinking about is maybe using interval numbers instead of
steps for the integer, so that #2 tranposes a second up and #-4 a fourth down
etc.
I think that's also what Stefan meant.

Well, that's just my thoughts.
It's definitely an awesome function and it makes constructing a piece with
motives possible.

Regards,
Tao

-------- Original-Nachricht --------