Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:22:12 -0800 (PST)

Gilles,

very clever! Would it be possible to use your
function to do things like inversion? I don't
have lilypond installed where I am right now,
but I'm thinking something like this:

from = { c  d e f g a b }
to =   { c' b a g f e d }

If so, this technique could be used to automate
some serialist methods such as retrogrades, and
perhaps (with some modifications) tone-row
multiplications à la Boulez, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_(music)

The function John is proposing is still valuable
because it would automate diatonic transpositions
without needing to set \from and \to, but your
function may open up a new realm of pitch-mapping
possibilities. Thanks for your contribution!

Mark