Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 06:01:33 -0600

chip wrote:

Am 21.12.2008 um 19:07 schrieb chip:

    I input in Concert C, transpose to the key of D for Trumpet.
\transpose c d {}

    The First Trumpet part transposes to the key of D just fine. I
    would like to just copy/paste the first part into the second part.
What's the second part?

As mentioned just above your question - it's the first trumpet part, just copied/pasted into the 2nd trumpet part.

    The second part I want to transpose also for Trumpet, also in the
    key of D, but a fourth lower.
In the key of d, but a fourth lower. Do you mean the key of a?
Key of A? No, as I said in my post - in the key of D.

Or do you want the part in D major, but a fourth lower than the first part?
Yes, as I said, a fourth lower, in the key of D.

I'm a little confused as to what you want. If it's the the latter, then yeah, it's probably doable in scheme, but I don't know scheme and can't help you there, and I would just say type it a fourth lower.

melody = {c d e f g a b}
trumpet 1 = {d e fâ g a b câ}
trumpet 2 = {a b câ d e fâ gâ} ??
trumpet 2 = {a b câ d e fâ g} ??
If my piece were only 7 notes long that would work just fine.

Graham Percival wrote:
Chip, I am 90% convinced that the solution to your problem was
posted here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00586.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00585.html
With another person trying to figure out what you wanted here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00581.html

None of those solutions involve programming, and they are easily
constructed with the knowledge in the LM.  If you cannot, or will
not, describe what you actually want, it's very difficult to help
you.
How much clearer can I make it? The questions are answered in the posts right above the questions. A trumpet part in the key of D but notated a fourth lower, still in the key of D, as described above.

The problem here is that you haven't made it clear whether you want *perfect* fourths or not. The solution I sent to the list did what you said, put the 2nd trumpet part "a fourth lower without changing the key signature," but yes it has a G-sharp where the original had a C-sharp. That doesn't mean it changed the key signature, it just has the occasional accidental to maintain the perfect fourths. If you say 4ths, you have to be specific. If you want everything to be *some* kind of fourth that will never create an accidental, then it's harder to do, hence everyone's confusion. Sorry you had to type everything again. Seems like you could copy/paste the whole part, then just change the c-sharps to c naturals if you want the transposed part to have G naturals. Good luck with the rehearsal/performance :)

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com