Re: 2 muisc + tablature in 2 staves

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: 2 muisc + tablature in 2 staves
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:17:56 -0700

Dick,

On 12/21/08 12:01 PM, "Richard Schoeller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> There are some examples scattered throughout the documentation.
> However, there is not a single complete description.  In any case, you
> can define alternative chord shapes with this sort of syntax:
>
> \addChordShape #'csevsmall #"x;3-3;2-2;3-4;1-1;o;"

What you've done here works, but it's not done according to original
developer intent.

ChordShapes are intended to be shapes that transpose along the fretboard
to any fret.  Because the first string is open in this diagram, you can't
really move it up a fret or two.  So ordinarily, this chord would just be
added directly:

\storePredefinedDiagram  \chordmode {c':7}
                         #guitar-tuning
                         #"x;3-3;2-2;3-4;1-1;o;"

Also, you should be aware that a syntax change is coming to \addChordShape.
Starting with 2.11.66 it will require a string tuning, as well as a symbol
and a diagram definition.

> You can then apply those to a specific chord with:
>
> \storePredefinedDiagram \chordmode {c':7}
>                         #guitar-tuning
>                         #(chord-shape 'csevsmall)
>
> Notice, that I associated this with an octave shifted version of the
> chord.  If you want to write notes mode, you could associate a specific
> fingering with a specific combination of notes.  There are a number of
> alternatives that work quite well.

Also, the fret diagram can be automatically determined if the user wants to
enter the exact pitches, but this diagram will not be readily transposable.

Thanks,

Carl