Re: left-aligned syllables?

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: left-aligned syllables?
Date: 30 Nov 2008 15:40:43 +0100

Ivo Bouwmans <address@hidden> writes:

> Preparing some Christmas music (see below or attachment), I saw that
> the first syllables in the final system are left-aligned rather than
> centred below the note as they should be.
>
> Does anyone know what causes this?

Some deductions...

It only happens in bar 8, first syllable.

The lyrics are added to voice "mel", the other voices do not matter.

When reduced to single voice + lyrics, the same thing happens at the
same place. This is the only place where a slur connects two quarter
notes.

Apparently, this is what happens when lyrics are aligned to slurred
notes. After all, if a slur spans several notes, it is better to have
the syllable on the first note and not centered under the slur.
Imagine the slur spans 20 notes...

So I think this is intentional.

-- Johan
   Chord is alive! http://chordii.sourceforge.net