Re: Just chords and lyrics.

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Just chords and lyrics.
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:49:41 -0800

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 08:15:39PM -0700, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> On 11/27/08 8:06 PM, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Graham Percival wrote:
> >>
> >> This could be added to ly/property-init.ly.  Oh, and indentation.
> >
> > Are you saying it could be a new command that's part of Lilypond, or
> > that a user should add it to his own property-init.ly file?

No user should ever edit *-init.ly files.  Yes, I'm saying that it
should be added to lilypond.

> >  I don't
> > know if it would be a good idea to add it to the program's code, since
> > there are so many things that might need to be made transparent in a
> > given melody, some are bound to be left out and somebody would call it a
> > bug.

Then we fix the bug by adding a single line to property-init.ly.
Really, if all bug fixes are that easy, I could clear the 300-bug
backlog tonight.  :)

> >  Incidentally, this example should probably be a
> > snippet, since it has overrides, right?

That's why I'm suggesting that you add it to property-init.ly --
then it *won't* be a snippet, since it won't (explicitly) be using
overrides.

> >> And possibly a different name; makeTransparent sounds close to
> >> hideNotes.
> >>
> > I'll try to come up with something.  My first one was \makeItVanish but
> > that seems too flippant for the docs :)
>
> How about hideVoiceNotation?

Maybe.  Or what about hideNotation ?

Let me put it this way: should \hideNotes *only* hide the noteheads
and steams, or should \hideNotes hide everything?  My first
instinct as that it should hide everything, but maybe somebody can
think of a reason why not.  -- I mean, a reason that isn't highly
tweaked out, like making Schenkerian graphs with lilypond.  People
doing that kind of stuff should be able to figure out the
\overrides on their own.

If we *can't* think of a reason why \hideNodes should leave the
slurs and tuplet brackets visible, then I would rather that you
dump your overrides into the existing \hideNotes macro.

Cheers,
- Graham