Re: automatic Beam positions

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: automatic Beam positions
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 09:25:00 -0800 (PST)

November 23 2008, Tao Cumplido wrote:> the Beam positions can be tweaked by
> \override Beam #'positions = #'(a . b)
>
> Is it possible to tell LilyPond that the difference
> between a and b should automatically not be greater
> than 1. For my taste LilyPond spreads the ends to
> far away from each other but I don't want to fix
> every time it happens manually.

I'm sure there's a way, but adjusting the beam damping
is easier, for example: \override Beam #'damping = #4
The individual slope still depends on the interval
between the end notes, but you can probably find a
value that suits you the majority of the time. The
default value is 1, and setting it to +inf.0 gives
flat beams every time. See the test file below and the
attached png.

Hope this helps.
- Mark

\version "2.11.64-1"

notes = {
  \repeat unfold 4 { f,16 e' d' c' }
  \repeat unfold 4 { a,,16 f' d' b' }
  \repeat unfold 4 { b,,16 f' c' g' }
  \repeat unfold 4 { d,16 g c f }
  \repeat unfold 4 { e,16 g b d }
  \repeat unfold 4 { g,16 a b c }
}

damping = \repeat unfold 6 {
  %% default beam damping is 1:
  \override Beam #'damping = #1 s4^"1 (def.)"
  \override Beam #'damping = #2 s^"2"
  \override Beam #'damping = #4 s^"4"
  \override Beam #'damping = #+inf.0 s^"+inf.0"
}

\markup "\override Beam #'damping ="

\score {
  \relative {
    \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
    <<
    \notes
    \damping

  }