Binding lyrics to their melody w/out showing the melody in output

From: strk
Subject: Binding lyrics to their melody w/out showing the melody in output
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:33:19 +0100

I've produced my first lilypond lead sheet:
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/tmp/amadomio.ly
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/tmp/amadomio.pdf

Now, I'm thinking I'd like to produce a separate
sheet for the drummer, having the same layout and
just drum notes instead of real notes on the staff.

The problem seems to be with lyrics, as they'd need
to still be aligned to their melody, but the melody
wouldn't be shown.

The example written here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Lyrics-independent-of-notes#Lyrics-independent-of-notes

Doesn't work with my lilypond 2.10.33. It says:
 Interpreting music...
 test.ly:8:24: warning: Lyric syllable does not have note. Use \lyricsto or
associatedVoice.
     lyr = \lyricmode {
                        I like my cat! }

Any idea, or tips ?