Re: Let's make TextSpanners easier to use!

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Let's make TextSpanners easier to use!
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:13:25 +0100

2008/10/31 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:

>>> As a minor refinement, you could use assoc-get instead of assoc.
> It's in lily-library.scm. :)

Hm, it requires a default-value. Why do I need to use it?

>>> Hmm, this isn't as elegant as make-text-span itself; you can't use markup.
>>
>> Do you know how I could (other than using (ly:markup?))?
>
> Not that would be approved for inclusion in the source.

It's because a music function needs a specific type as a signature, so
it has to be either a string or a markup :-(

>> Would you, by any chance, have an idea about how to make it possible to have
>> c1\startSpan "spanner attached to note" c1\endSpan
>> without using a music function?

> I've puzzled over this, but can't think of anything which might work.

I'm afraid it would require a new C++ underlying paradigm, such as
ly:make-attached-objet or whatever.

I do intend to implement it as soon as I'm able to.
Within a dozen years or so.

Cheers,
Valentin