Repeat volta: how many times to repeat?

From: Roberto Leibman
Subject: Repeat volta: how many times to repeat?
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:38:43 -0700

I'm sorry if this has been asked before in some other way I could not quite figure out. I'm a bit new at both lilypond and music notation in general... my excuse? I'm a drummer.

I want to mark a bar repeated 5 times. What I've often see are the volta marks, with a little number at top of the closing bar stating the number of repeats (e.g. 5x). Why isn't this number automatically placed? How is a player supposed to know how many times a piece of music is supposed to be played without it? Am I missing something?

Example:

\repeat volta 5 {hh8 hh hh hh hh hh hh hh}

I could use repeat percent, or repeat unfold, but then each bar is "spelled out" and the song takes 4 pages instead of 2.

Thanks,

Roberto