Re: Measure markup

From: Cordilow
Subject: Re: Measure markup
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:51:00 -0700 (PDT)

Mats Bengtsson-4 wrote:

> Reading the full question and not only the first lines, you should
> perhaps look at using …
Excellent. Both of these things should help a lot—although it looks like I
need the development version for the latter example to work—I'll go try it
out and see.

But first, are analysis brackets commonly used for this purpose? I.e. for
showing the notes to play for a piano introduction of a hymn. I mean, will
someone who knows what analysis brackets are instinctively know why they are
there? If not, they're still cool, even if they're not quite what I was
looking for.

All right. I got it, and I've tried it out. I checked out the idea to do
what I was asking about specifically. It works quite well, except that the
symbols are directly above notes instead of measure bars. I see that one can
do it with markup, but I'm not sure this is markup. It is very nice that
they are thinner than the characters I had on mind, and it is also nice that
they are the same vertical position as each other. Definitely a huge
improvement, and something I can work with without complaints.

Dmytro O. Redchuk-2 wrote:
> Please, excuse me if i misunderstood you -- have you tried \mark command ?
Not until you mentioned it. I see I can do measure markup with \mark
\markup{}, and that this will work (thanks for the suggestion—I wasn't
aware). There are a few problems, though. I can use Matts' suggestion to
draw the characters correctly, even here. However, I don't know how to make
the vertical position equal if I go the \mark \markup{\draw-line … }} route,
rather than doing it relative to the note. Is there a way to do this?

Anyway, doing it above the notes isn't too bad. I think it makes more sense,
personally, even if it's not what I see done in print, exactly. Doing that
and/or the analysis brackets should work well for now.

Thanks for the help!