Re: Trouble getting my page layout just right

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Trouble getting my page layout just right
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:46:16 +1100

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:00:17PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> I'm sure you have already tried
> \paper { annotate-spacing = ##t }
> to get some hints on what's going on. See "4.6.1 Displaying spacing" in
> the Notation reference.
>
> Once difference I could notice between pages 3 and 4 is that you have a
> dynamic indication \mf
> for some staves on page 4, that you don't have on page 3. This will
> clearly influence the vertical
> spacing. However, when comparing the pages, I also get the impression
> that the staves with only
> full measure rests get more vertical spacing than those with notes,
> which seems weird.

Hmm, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's strange! And it's
nothing recent either---it's been a problem since I first put the
score together, which seems to be four years ago.

I've uploaded a score with annotate-spacing
on. http://web.netcall.com.au/horsburgh/Downloads/entertainer-annotated.pdf

I've tried that before, but I couldn't really make head or tail of
it. The numbers tell me what I can already see, but they don't give me
many clues as to why they're changing.

Also, there are dynamic marks on page three---the cornets and basses
have mf markings toward the end of the system.

Thanks for your help,

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/