Re: Adding a staff in the middle of a piece

From: Martin Frankland
Subject: Re: Adding a staff in the middle of a piece
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for your answer.

I tried your proposed solution (B). My previous version was indeed using new
names for the staffs, so Lilypond would have no way of knowing I wanted them
to match up (i.e. that \Sop should follow \SopIntro). I tried something like
this:

\score {
{
\ChoirIntro
<<
\Soli
\context Staff = SopIntro \sop % sop contains all the soprano notes after
the intro
\context Staff = AltIntro \alt
\context Staff = TenIntro \ten
\context Staff = BasIntro \bas

}
\layout{}
\midi{}
}

but it still didn't work. To simplify it further and test if sequential
parts work, I tried:

\score {
{
\ChoirIntro
\Soli
}
\layout{}
\midi{}
}

but I got a similarly bad result: intro ok, followed by some kind of empty
system that doesn't have lines.

I moved on to proposed solution (A), or selective Frenching. I added the
line:

\override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-empty = ##f
% Note: writing \set instead of \override produces a syntax error in my code

to all the staffs, from the beginning for the choir, and after the intro for
the soloists. Oddly enough, it works for the choir but not the soloists.
More precisely , tenors have a few bars of rests in the first verse and
their empty staff is displayed, whereas soloists have the usual Frenching
pattern, with all empty staffs hidden.

This reminded me of a question by Alexander Kobel:

http://www.nabble.com/Locally-disable-hiding-of-empty-staves--td19142114.html

with proposed solution of Neil Puttock:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-08/msg00366.html

I tried Neil's commands \show and \hide, and they yield exactly the results
I was looking for, i.e. \show forces the empty staffs to appear.

I didn't play around too much with your proposed solution (C), since my
music code is somewhat complicated, with lots of lyrics, and I was happy
with the solution using \show.

Again, thank you very much for your input.

--
Martin Frankland