Re: overhead projection of lilypond scores

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: overhead projection of lilypond scores
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:49:30 -0400

Just my $0.02 (USD) on the matter.

1) Black-on-white is not really as bad as everyone says it is for projection purposes (before digital projection systems, that's how virtually all projected images appeared, except for those on prepared 35mm slides or similar), Especially when it's something like music, which everyone is used to seeing as black-on-white. I think whenever I've seen music projected with the words, it's been black-on-white.

2) If you do want to change the background, you may be able to take advantage of the fact that when the lily file is compiled to PDF, the background is technically transparent. So, if you have a program that can handle PDF files as objects (such as the Keynote presentation app for Mac), you can just drop the PDF into that program (you'll probably want to adjust the sizing for optimal display anyway) and use the background in the program. An alternative is to do the same thing in software like Photoshop or GIMP and export the result.

Carl Peterson