Re: rolled chords in mulivoice classical guitar score

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: rolled chords in mulivoice classical guitar score
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:19:59 -0500

This snippet appears to do what you're asking:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/input/lsr/lilypond-snippets/Expressive-marks

Go down to where it says "Creating arpeggios across notes in different voices."

Jon

% ****************************************************************
% Start cut-&-pastable-section
% ****************************************************************

\paper {
  #(define dump-extents #t)

  indent = 0\mm
  line-width = 160\mm
  force-assignment = #""
  line-width = #(- line-width (* mm  3.000000))
}

\layout {

}

% ****************************************************************
% ly snippet:
% ****************************************************************
\sourcefilename "creating-arpeggios-across-notes-in-different-voices.ly"
\sourcefileline 0
%% Do not edit this file; it is auto-generated from LSR http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it
%% This file is in the public domain.
\version "2.11.62"

\header {
  lsrtags = "expressive-marks"

  texidoces = "
Se puede trazar un símbolo de arpegio entre notas de distintas
voces que están sobre el mismo pentagrama si el grabador
@code{Span_arpeggio_engraver} se traslada al contexto de
@code{Staff} context:

"
  doctitlees = "Crear arpegios entre notas de voces distintas"

  texidoc = "
An arpeggio can be drawn across notes in different voices on the same
staff if the @code{Span_arpeggio_engraver} is moved to the @code{Staff}
context:

"
  doctitle = "Creating arpeggios across notes in different voices"
} % begin verbatim
\new Staff \with {
  \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver"
}
\relative c' {
  \set Staff.connectArpeggios = ##t
  <<
    { <e' g>4\arpeggio <d f> <d f>2 } \\
    { <d, f>2\arpeggio <g b>2 }

}

% ****************************************************************
% end ly snippet
% ****************************************************************

Tom Cloyd wrote:
Greetings!

After digging around considerably in the excellent Lilypond documentation (am running 2.11.60 on Kubuntu Linux 8.04.1), and running a number of experiments, I'm defeated on this problem.

A simple test case: I have two voices in a single staff. Periodically, I want to indicate that the notea co-occuring at a given point are to be played as a "rolled" arpeggio. There is NO chord notated - just two voices with single notes. Please don't suggest I merge the voices. That's not the solution I'm looking for.

P. 90 of Lilypond Notation reference illustrates a rolled arpeggio across different notes in the same staff, but it involves notes in chord clusters. Besides, my Lilypond doesn't at all like this stuff (from the reference):

\new Staff \with {
 \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver"
}
\relative c' {...

I get this error - "warning: cannot find file: `consists' "

So, even if I HAD chord clusters, I'd still have a problem.

This rolled arpeggio business is very common in classical guitar music. I'm a little surprised there isn't some simple way to indicate it, but...maybe I'm missing something.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tom

--
Jonathan Kulp