Re: Piano staff, single staff polyphony and lyrics

From: Ari Torhamo
Subject: Re: Piano staff, single staff polyphony and lyrics
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 03:29:04 +0300

ti, 2008-10-07 kello 18:55 -0500, Jonathan Kulp kirjoitti:

> I understand.  It "is" possible to run Finale on Linux under Wine,
> though, so if he really can't manage Lilypond but does o.k. with Linux
> in general, then perhaps he could just run the occasional proprietary
> piece of software under Wine.  I've gotten the Finale demo to run nearly
> perfectly under Wine, with playback and everything.  I don't have an
> installation disc, though, so I can't install a full copy.  The only
> problems I have are that the piano braces and ties look funny.  Still,
> you can view and play back files, and if you have the full version, you
> can save and share files with others.  I like to have the demo installed
> in case my students send me Finale files, but that's really the only use
> I have for Finale now that I've gotten comfy with Lilypond :)

Finale should work without a clitch under Wine, so that I would dare to
recommend it in this case. The person in question uses Ubuntu now, which
is so easy to use that he never has any problems with it. Wine is
another thing, because there probably would be porblems every now and
then and he wouldn't be able to solve them - even if they were minor in
our eyes. I have tried to run a few programs myself under Wine, but the
experience has always been discouraging (might be different this time of
course). The outcome under Wine should be flawless too, because this
person grew up among music books of late 19th and early 20th century,
many of which are beautifully engraved. He wouldn't accept funny looking
braces and ties :-) I showed him some examples from the Lilypond web
site, and he said "looks good". He in fact used to use Finale long time
ago, but he says he had to tweak the output too much. Sibelius might be
an alternative (some people seem to run it under Wine too).

I hope I'm not sounding too negative, when you do your best to help
me :-)

Ari