Re: Regarding the new Table of Contents in the GUB docs

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Regarding the new Table of Contents in the GUB docs
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:29:25 -0700

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Mats Bengtsson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't had the time to read all the discussions related to the new
> web layout of the 2.11 documentation, but wonder if I'm the only one who
> miss the possibility to view the full table of contents with all
> subsections expanded. I'm very used to search for some word in the table of
> contents, when I want to find the appropriate section in the manual, but
> this is no longer possible if I want to find the title
> of a level 3 section. For example, an email the other day mentioned
> the subsection "Distances and measurements" and I actually had to run grep
> in the Documentation source code to find out that it was located in section
> 5.4.3. Similarly, I myself referred to the "Piano centered dynamics"
> template in a recent email and you cannot locate it easily if you search for
> "centered" in the table of contents.
> Even if everybody made it a habit to always include the section number
> when referring to a section on the mailing list, you can be certain that
> these section numbers will change more often than the titles themselves
> so if somebody looks into the mailing list archives 3 years later I'm sure
> that the section numbers will have changed so it will be hard to find the
> section.
>
> I certainly realize that it might take too much space to have this
> fully expanded table of contents in the left margin all the time, but it
> should at least be possible to select to view the full version
> in the main window.

That's not a bad idea, IMO.

Some people have commented that too much space is being *wasted* in
the Table of Contents pane, but I assume they are viewing the docs
with a large monitor or in high resolution.  On my laptop with
1280x800 resolution, the current TOC layout is the perfect width, but
on the 1920x1200 monitor I am currently using, a fully-expanded Table
of Contents would look very nice.

Hopefully if we can implement a search box in the TOC pane with
server-side scripting, the documentation will be much easier to
navigate.  But this might have to wait until after the 2.12 release.

Regards,
Patrick