Re: Removing bundled LilyPond

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Removing bundled LilyPond
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:48:56 -0400

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

Well, I was all geared up to try one of these modifications to the .bashrc file when I mistyped and messed up my $PATH. To make a long story short, I fixed the .bashrc file but in the process, I discovered something:

When I used the 2.11.59 install shell script, and then logged off and logged in again to test the new $PATH (and found that I had fouled it up with a typo); after restoring the original .bashrc file and then entering 'lilypond -v' just to check that my $PATH was fixed, it returned version 2.11.59. So I uninstalled it, logged off and then on again and entered 'lilypond -v' once again, which returned version 2.10.33. I then ran the install shell script again, logged off and logged on, entered 'lilypond -v' again and this time it returned version 2.11.59. Keep in mind, I've made no changes to .bashrc or my $PATH.

Conclusion: I needed only to log off and back on after installing the new version in order to call it from the command line. Ubuntu Studio Hardy or LilyPond made the necessary adjustments to invoke the new version of LilyPond. Version 2.10.33 is still installed, and if I want to revert, all I have to do is run the uninstall-lilypond script to remove 2.11.59.

I hope this saves others from this particular sequence of events. Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies. I'm absorbing your comments and suggestions for future use.

Peace,

Dave